Positivity is infectious! When you’re around someone with positive energy, you can actually feel it. Their excitement for life, their enthusiasm for their work or their love for their family is palpable. Here are a few things that positive people do, consciously and unconsciously, that may help you, too!
1. Positive people are grateful. Gratitude leads to happiness! This is a fact, not my opinion. Try keeping a gratitude journal for 7 days and see if this practice helps you stay focused and mindful of all the good that you have in your life.
2. Positive people are optimists! Optimists believe in possibilities and have faith in their ability to see a project through to completion. It’s possible to adopt some of the qualities that optimists come upon naturally. It just takes some rewriting of the internal monologue in your head! If you notice your thoughts becoming negative, try replacing that thought with one that is loving, positive, nurturing and life-affirming. Consider writing your own personal mantra or selecting a happiness quote that you copy down in your journal or in the notes section of your iPhone. Read it whenever you need a quick positivity pick-me-up!
3. Positive people do not let fear run their lives. Fear is a powerful force and it’s not easy to let go of the cycle of fear that keeps you in a job you hate or in a relationship that’s not healthy or fulfilling. It takes a lot of faith and reflection to make the choice not to live a life guided by fear, but instead guided by love, passion and connection. When you are ready to let go of your fears, you will be ready to live a life that is so much richer and filled with so much more joy than you can even imagine!
4. Positive people are great connectors and communicators. Positive people are in touch with their feelings–positive and negative–and are able to reach out to their support network of family and friends to share moments of joy and moments of anxiety, worry and stress. Positive people realize the importance of fostering meaningful connections with others and are strengthened by their relationships.
5. Positive people live empowered lives (and you can, too!) Empowered people know that information + knowledge = power. Empowered people learn to trust their own intuition and judgements. Empowered people make choices in their lives that bring them happiness because they believe, at their core, that they are deserving of happiness!
“Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” – Walt Whitman